With the rising prices of heating and energy bills, many households are looking to reduce the amount of energy they use, and to save money. The boiler is essential for hot water and heating, but what are some of the most effective energy-saving tips for your boiler? And can this really help you save money?
What are the most effective energy-saving tips for your boiler?
There are a number of different ways that you can save energy with your boiler. These include:
- Regular servicing- Scheduling annual boiler servicing with a qualified engineer can be a good way to make sure that your boiler is performing as efficiently as possible. This is because regular maintenance tests your boiler to make sure that this has no problems or issues, ultimately reducing energy wastage and identifying potential issues early on.
- Install a programmable thermostat- Invest in a programmable thermostat to control the heating schedule in your home. This allows you to tailor heating to your specific needs, avoiding unnecessary heating when you are away or asleep.
- Optimise heating times- Set your boiler to provide heating and hot water only when needed. Timers and thermostatic radiator valves can be highly effective this, helping to regulate the heating in different areas of your home, reducing overall energy consumption.
- Bleed radiators- Regularly bleed your radiators to remove trapped air, ensuring they function efficiently and distribute heat evenly. This will ensure that when you have the heating on, the rooms will warm up to temperature quickly and keep your property warm, without having to use too much energy.
- Thermostat location- Ensure your thermostat is correctly placed away from draughts, radiators, and direct sunlight. This prevents inaccurate readings and optimises temperature control.
- Reduce Water Temperature- Lower the water temperature on your boiler to an appropriate level. In most cases, reducing it to 60°C is sufficient for hot water needs while saving energy.